Sunday, March 29, 2015

Annotation - Fantasy

Author: Neil Gaiman
Title: American Gods
Genre: Fantasy
Publication Date: 2001
Number of Pages: 465 pages
Geographical Setting: Modern day USA
Time Period: Late 1990's or early 2000's

Plot Summary: Shadow, a strong, silent ex-con with a knack for getting into trouble gets released from jail just in time to travel to his dead wife's funeral. Eventually, while looking for work, Shadow encounters Mr. Wednesday, who is looking for a bodyguard. After meeting a host of Mr. Wednesday's odd friends, becoming an accomplice to a few minor crimes, and fighting his way free after being kidnapped by a group of mysterious men in black, Shadow realizes that the Gods from the ancient scriptures are alive and well in modern day American, and that Mr. Wednesday-- AKA Odin-- is recruiting powerful beings for an impending all-out battle to the death with the new, modern-day American Gods, who aim to wipe the ancient Gods from existence.

Subject Headings:





Appeal: Adult fans of fantasy and mythology as well as mind-bending science fiction.

3 terms that best describe this book: fantasy, mythology, action

Similar Authors and Works:

A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin -- A feudal court drama, set in a fictitious realm of the Westeros, in the wake of the death of the great King Robert Baratheon that follows the lives of several key point-of-view characters, including the honorable Ned Stark, his wife, and his children. Known for scenes of graphic violence and explicit sexual content, as well as Martin's penchant for unceremoniously dispatching beloved characters, Game of Thrones is adult fantasy at its best.    

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett -- Book # 13 of the Discworld series, Small Gods tells the story of Brutha, an ordinary man seeking nothing but to live a simple life, who's existence is radically changed when his God, speaking through the mouth of a tortoise, appears to him and sends him on an epic quest for peace. 

Imajica by Clive Barker -- After a nasty split from her sadistic husband, Judith is pursued through the streets of New York City by his assassins. After being saved by her long lost love, John Zacharius, the two are sucked into the underworld of Imajica where they are forced to battle ancient, unspeakable evil. 

6 comments:

  1. I have to say, I'm very intrigued by fantasy - especially that with an urban twist - because I never really understood that it involves elements of crime, passion and mystery as well as some of the elements of fantasy. I wonder urban or even humorous fantasy are good introductions into this genre if it is somewhat intimidating for newbies to approach? I'd probably go the route of something like this book in order to get a feel for fantasy as well as recognize some elements that are found in other books. Do you agree?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, I'm very intrigued by fantasy - especially that with an urban twist - because I never really understood that it involves elements of crime, passion and mystery as well as some of the elements of fantasy. I wonder urban or even humorous fantasy are good introductions into this genre if it is somewhat intimidating for newbies to approach? I'd probably go the route of something like this book in order to get a feel for fantasy as well as recognize some elements that are found in other books. Do you agree?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't read much fantasy but the names Neil Gaiman and Terry Prachett jump out at me like laser beams! I'm doing my final project on Game of Thrones so I will have to check out these recommendations a little closer. :) As a fan of mythology, I may have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't read much fantasy but the names Neil Gaiman and Terry Prachett jump out at me like laser beams! I'm doing my final project on Game of Thrones so I will have to check out these recommendations a little closer. :) As a fan of mythology, I may have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This books sounds very much intriguing. I'm not a fantasy reader but this book sounds to be very good. I'm not going to say that I will read it but I'm going to add it to my book suggestion list. I have been creating a list of books throughout this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for including not only the titles and authors of related titles but the descriptions! What an excellent idea. Also, I wouldn't normally pick this book up, BUT based on those that you compared it as similar to, I am now interested. I hadn't thought of reviews and suggestions from that point of view before, but it proves how important that element is, both to give related reading but to further clarify the tone of the book being reviewed.

    ReplyDelete