Sunday, March 1, 2015

Prompt Response - Week 7

When it comes to controversial novels, in general, I rally to the side of the written word.  However, I'm making quite a few internal assumptions when I say this, and these assumptions mostly have to do with the type of content I'm assuming is causing controversy around the book.  What I mean to say is that it seems like in America, the content that is objected to most frequently is sexual in nature.  From Tropic of Cancer to Lolita to Fifty Shades of Grey, our country has a long established history of an inability to handle sexual content rationally--most likely a puritanical hangover from our days in the original colonies getting dusted on moldy bread. Any piece of art or literature or media in this culture that makes it to the mainstream is judged, first and foremost, on its sexual content.  Look no further than Janet Jackson's immortal nipple-- thank you Google images-- if you really need proof that our country loses its collective shit over sex.  But on the other hand, every 8-year old boy in America is running around with a stuffed ninja turtle, kicking and punching his way to the corner for a time out while his parents just kind of smile, and shake their heads, and "boys-will-be-boys themselves" down to the juvenile detention center.

The point I'm trying to make here is not that somehow violence trumps sex, or vice versa, or that we should be scared of either in an artistic context, but simply this: who am I to judge? There're too many people in this country with radical values, and given that I don't rely on some ancient spectral figure(s) to discern what is morally or ethically right or wrong, the fact is that I'm never going to understand that kind of a perspective. This is good, in my opinion, because this helps me to ignore the "controversy" and focus on whether the work in question has any kind of artistic merit. This is why I can explain to someone, with no shame via a nuanced argument, why Lolita and Tropic of Cancer are canonical literary masterworks, and Fifty Shades of Grey is a trivial, if entertaining, exploration into light BDSM and sexual power dynamics.

Of course, there are different types of controversy. A work like A Million Little Pieces, written by James Frey and endorsed by Oprah's Book Club, was deemed "controversial" not because of its content, but because it was marketed as a lie. Initially published as a memoir, there was a major public backlash once it was discovered that Frey's work was largely fiction.  Oprah even recanted her personal endorsement.  In my mind, this shows exactly the value of a celebrity endorsement. Does the fact that Frey lied about the genre of the work somehow alter Oprah's posthumous experience reading the book? I don't think so. It was the content of the book that initially appealed to Oprah, not the controversy surrounding it; I think her initial review still has some value. Her initial review still implies that she enjoyed reading the book. The book was beautifully written, from a mechanical standpoint, and it feels like Frey was acknowledging a sort of "beat" tradition-- as in Ginsberg and Kerouac and Kesey and Thompson and Burroughs-- as far as novels centered around drug abuse are concerned.  Many, many other people disagree with me. The fact is this: an endorsement can only ever amount to an opinion. 

I also happen to have an opinion concerning A Million Little Pieces: I think it's brilliant. I think that it's brilliant for a true author of fiction-- someone who's job is essentially to be a fantastic liar-- to show such dedication to the lie. 

But then again, I haven't read it yet. 

3 comments:

  1. This was an extremely riveting piece on controversy! Thank you so much for sharing this.

    I tend to agree with you regarding morality in reading. Who am I to judge what someone else should or shouldn't read? We each have our own moral code based upon a set of experiences, values, and yes for some, religion, and morality is not a one-sized fits all issue. As such, I also have and will continue to suggest Lolita (which has in my opinion perhaps the most stunningly written intro of all time- no matter what you think of the content). I also don't balk when someone asks me for a book full of explicit sexuality, about becoming a Wiccan, or about marijuana (all of which have happened recently) because that is not my place. Those aren't controversial topics to me- they are just topics that someone else has an interest in...book closed.

    I do have to wonder where that line is drawn though. There certainly are some topics which are controversial for a reason. I can distinctly remember a group of boys I wen't to high school with passing around Mein Kampf. They were posturing, trying to show how cool they were by reading something by someone so patently evil. However, they also began to espouse anti-Semitic views in the process, taking pride in their new found hate. I abhor that they used a this book as a way to look cool and pretend like they cared for nothing, and if I had been the person that helped them find the book I likely would have had an internal struggle, but the fact remains, despite being controversial, our job is not to censor, and if our library had it, it would be my job to provide them with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get exactly what you are saying. I've shelved, retrieved, and checked out to patrons some books that go pretty hard-core against my beliefs. It's a struggle we all go through, but Freedom to Read reigns supreme for me, and so I just remind myself that they have the freedom to read and that it's not just ethically wrong as a librarian but also unconstitutional for me (as a public librarian, working on the taxpayer's dime) to restrict patrons from accessing constitutionally protected speech. Plus, that means that nobody can restrict me from accessing what I want to access, even if they disagree with it. I've read some pretty controversial books over the years and I don't want anyone else telling me that I can't read them when I want to. In practice, it ends up being a reciprocal agreement - if your stuff can be in the library, my stuff can be in the library.

      Delete
  2. I thought a very similar thing about Frey when reading the article. I haven't read "A Million Little Pieces," but people went absolutely crazy over it, so it must have been a pretty compelling read, whether it's true or factual. I get the part about hating being deceived, but I also wondered if it wasn't all part of the promotion (kind of like Joaquin Phoenix's antics when filming/promoting "I'm Still Here") that got away from him when Oprah came on the scene.

    ReplyDelete